November Reviews- So Sad

I only read two books in November- I blame the wreath and my students, since I've had to be in letter of rec/personal statement overdrive this month. Nonetheless, they were two good ones and I'm sure now that things are settling down December will be much more impressive.

Orange is the New Black
Piper Kerman
327 pages
I wrote a nonfiction nagging post on this book here.

Verdict: If you are a fan of the show you definitely should read this memoir- her time in prison was much, much different from than show.

The Bell Jar
Sylvia Plath
288 pages
I'm sure most of you have read this memoir-in-disguise-as-a-novel by Plath, so I'll spare you the lengthy synopsis. Basically, it tells the story of Esther Greenwood's emotional breakdown one summer, ending up in her electric shock therapy sessions at a mental institution. The writing is simplistic, but the themes of depression, growing up, and mental health are not.

Verdict: If you're a fan of Plath's poetry or are studying her it's definitely a must. I thought it was a quick, interesting read that shed some light on her psyche and the mental health care system during that time period.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy Plath, but more her poetry over The Bell Jar. It's a good book, I enjoyed reading it, but I didn't have the reaction many of my friends did once finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Bell Jar for the first time this year and really enjoyed it. I opted for the audio version and Maggie Gyllenhaal was an amazing narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting re The Bell Jar. I would describe the writing as simple, yes, but definitely not simplistic. There is a lucidity to Plath's prose in that novel that is both cutting and fresh - I think of it as more of a prose poem, really. (also - hello! I am a random reader who clicked over from a comment on HTP ages ago, and love reading all the booky and wonderful things here)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED "Orange is the New Black" tv show I may have to get this book now! :)

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS