March Reviews

[it's spring break!]

Don't worry, I'm not going to try to BS you with some sort of April Fool's joke. I will, however, try to BS you with my opinions of what I read this month.

Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink
576 pages
I already reviewed this more extensively here, but basically this non-fiction text chronicles the five days after Hurricane Katrina at Memorial Medical Center in New Orleans. Doctors and nurses were faced with some serious ethical dilemmas that resulted with a tad bit of euthenasia. 

Verdict: I found this book incredibly interesting and read it within four or so days, despite it's length. Like any piece of non-fiction I think it's important to keep in mind it's objectivity, but for the most part I think Fink did a good job.

The House at the End of Hope Street by Menna van Praag
320 pages
I also reviewed this already here, summarizing the story of a woman who "finds" a house that will "help" her get her life on track after a relationship with a professor goes bad.

Verdict: I really didn't care for it much, thinking that it was a bit silly and the ending a disappointment.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
72 pages
I reread this for work, having read it back in high school as an IB student (some things never change...). I appreciated the story and language much more this time as we followed Marlow down the Congo. 

Verdict: This is a tough read, even as an adult. The language is dense, the plot moves a bit slowly and the description is plentiful. That being said, I think it's a rich text that I'm glad I had the opportunity to reread and change my mind on. 

4:09:32 by Hal Higdon
168 pages
Let's just call this month of the cop out- I also reviewed this book here.

Verdict: This is definitely a book for the running community, so despite my hiatus from the field, I was interested by the look back at what it took to prepare for Boston and how the bombings impacted them.

The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp, MD
260 pages
Karp outlines his plan for getting your baby to shut up and sleep more with his 5 S's- swaddling, side-laying, shushing, swinging, and sucking. He provides practical reasoning, historical connections, and scientific evidence. His theories on colic are also pretty interesting.

Verdict: I obviously don't have much to go off of, considering I don't have a kid and Chomsky got really frustrated when I tried to swaddle him and rock him vigorously. It does seem to make some sense, though. 
 
1,396 pages
 
Read anything good this month? Or anything we should stay away from?
 

3 comments:

  1. shouldn't it be "despite its length" rather than "despite it's length"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five Days at Memorial just broke my heart. Wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of Five Days at Memorial on my Kindle - but yeah, the fact that its a non fic + the length has kept me from digging in. Oddly enough, almost all the reviews I've seen of it mention how quickly people ended up reading it!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS