Summer Reading Goals

[this actually happened today]

This summer break will be the first time in years that I don't have something big going on (a newborn baby to take care of, a cruise, hiking Half Dome, summer school, etc....) and while I'm a tiny bit disappointed, I'm mostly thrilled. I have big plans in the tune of extensive categorized, typed, to do-lists that have been carefully crafted over the past few weeks. Basically, if everything goes according to plan, when summer is over my life will be perfect- my house will be immaculate, my body will be in tip-top shape, my child will have had fun and gotten to see new things, I will feel mentally restored, my dog exercised, my friends visited, my fall workload lighter and- well, you get the drift. And, like always, I will most likely to set myself up to fail, but I do know that I refuse to end the summer thinking "what did I do?" 

I'll spare you the fascinating tasks like "clean sliding door runners," and "organize garage," but I will share some of the more book/learning-related things I hope to accomplish this summer:

1. Read twelve books- I hope it's more, but this would still be more than a book a week

2. Finish Ulysses- I've read the first, and shortest, chapter and it was hard

3. Finish a rough draft of the novel I'm working on- Yup, it still feels douchey to say that

4. Comment at least xx times a week on other blogs

5. Blog at least three times a week

6. Watch at least three Ted Talks a week and a documentary every other week

7. Take some sort of lesson or class- archery? Sewing? 

8. Read a graphic novel

9. Write a short story or two

10. Finish Sawyer's baby book

Right now this all seems super reasonable, but that's how all of my to-do lists and resolutions start. Someone remind me to post an update so everyone can laugh at my failures before I go back to work. 

4 comments:

  1. Great goals! I know what you mean about feeling douchey when you say you need to finish a draft. I've been working on an essay collection, and I just don't talk about it anymore. Mostly my own issues, no one else's. lol Good luck with all your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound like some awesome summer goals. My summer is shaping up to be packed but I hope on my off days things turn out the way I want them to be

    ReplyDelete
  3. These seem like some challenging but at the same time doable goals. I admire that you're trying to read Ulysses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your goals. I have summer to-do lists too. It seems so easy. No school pick up or drop off, no school events, regular work schedule. And then on Friday, my kids first (!) day of summer, I had finished my first (generous) gin drink by 5:30. So...we'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS