Top Ten Tuesday- Latest and Greatest

This week The Broke and the Bookish ask us for our top ten most recent top-scoring reads. I'm putting my own little spin on this and am doing five of my most recent top picks and then five that I'm planning to read soon* that I have super high hopes for:

Five-Star(ish) Reads
1. The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff- Fine, I still have a hundred pages left, but I'm a complete Groff fan girl after her other two books and 2/3s of this one. Her plot, characters, and writing are the whole damn package. 

2. The Notorious RBG by Irin Carmon- Ruth is my hero, what can I say? We jive on a lot of things politically and in terms of feminism, but she's a cool lady as a whole. The book was well-done and was informative without being dry. 

3. The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie- I don't read YA, but I like Alexie and I had a hunch that this would tug at the heart strings and tickle the funny bone. I was correct. Also, I read it in an afternoon, so now I understand why those who stick to this genre are able to read like five million books a year. 

4. Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff- Well, well, well, here she is again. When I think about contemporary literary fiction, this instantly pops into mind. 

5. The Awakening by Kate Chopin- I love teaching this book, as it incites a great deal of discussion with my students. I also really appreciated reading it as a mom, this time around. While I'm not about to walk into the sea, I do understand Edna's feeling of suffocation at times. 

High Hopes for Five-Stars
6. In Other Words by Jhumpa Lahiri- A memoir by one of the most talented writers of our time.

7. The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Mara- Too many bloggers and critics I trust have loved this book for me to think I'd feel any different.

8. Thirteen Ways of Looking by Colum McCann- The man is a God.

9. This is the Story of Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett- I love everything I've read by her, and the idea of short stories in her voice seems perfect.

10. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez- I know this will be amazing, since it's effing Marquez, I just haven't gotten to it. 


*soon is completely fluid, when it comes to my reading sequence 

5 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by Lauren Groff (oops) but I am loving the cover for The Monsters of Templeton :) I hope you enjoy Anthony Marra's The Tsar of Love and Techno when you get to it (incidentally I also happened to have mentioned it on my list this week xD)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on a Sherman Alexie craze right now. I LOVED The Absolutely True Diary of Prat-Time Inidan, plus I think it is a very important book for us to read.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clearly I need to move Groff up the reading stack (I will get to Fates & Furies this year).

    Love in the Time of Cholera is a very good story - read it years ago but bits of it (the imagery) stick with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can never go wrong with Sherman Alexie! :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Tsar of Love and Techno on my TBR list as well since so many people seem to love it.
    And thanks for reminding me that i finally should read a Groff book!

    Wonderful list :)

    My TTT: http://booksbeautifylife.blogspot.de/2016/03/top-10-tuesday-favorite-5-stars.html

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS