Another Year in the Books



The 2015-2016 school year is officially over and summer break has started. This was my tenth year teaching, four at the elementary level and six at high school, a fact makes me feel slightly old.

I've spent a lot of time reflecting and reminiscing about the last year, as it has been very different than the other nine. I could write pages and pages about why, but I'll spare everyone. 

It was exhausting, fun, emotional, challenging, busy, entertaining, eye-opening, and just really, really great. This year was hard in some respects, but it was also one of my favorites, for sure. I want to go to work every day and feel things; I can't imagine sitting at a desk all day with no sort of attachment whatsoever to what I'm involved in. I don't love the bureaucracy of what happens behind the scenes sometimes, though- things get political, but that comes with most careers, I guess.  And it was hard to balance work and home; I was perpetually behind in both places and stressed out because of it. But as far as the kids go, they were great and my favorite part of each work day was when I was with them in my classroom. Sending my seniors off was even harder than I anticipated, but I see potential in the next group I'll cycle through for two years, so that's something to look forward to. And while it was hard to see the twelfth graders graduate, I'm sincerely excited for them. Oh, college. I'm little jealous, too, actually. 

My classroom as been "cleaned" (ie all my shit has been thrown into cabinets to deal with in August), grades are submitted, keys turned in, and the summer work for next year's group sent out. 

Now? Fifty-seven (I think?) days of freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS