Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

[happy 12th birthday, Cordie!]


Link up, link back, say hi!

1. Miracle of miracles- I had an HVAC person out to the house the other day to give me a second opinion on some heater repairs our maintenance company said we needed (that neared $3,000 dollars, unless we wanted to shell out $13,000 for two new units). Turns out the new people said we don't really need to do anything and that the other company works on 100% commission. Thank goodness I went with my gut.

2. I signed up for a 10k in a little over a month in Redlands, a city forty-five minutes or so away from here. I have been running more and feeling good, so I'm excited. 

3. Last weekend I had a training overnight and I ditched my colleagues and spent the entire time after we were released the first day alone. We originally tossed around the idea of going to dinner as a site, but myself and another teacher bailed to spend the evenings by ourselves. I went to the gym, finished The Nix (loved!), got take out, and slept like a baby in a big comfy hotel room.

4. In a few weeks I'm going to Vegas with my mom to see Cher, which I'm really excited for. Meanwhile, my friend asked me to go see Elton John the weekend before, also in Vegas. I was sooooo bummed to say no, but that would have been a super expensive two weeks and I would have felt bad to leave Sawyer two weekends in a row. I am super amused that both performers are sort of... old. And yet here we are wanting to. 

5. I had planned on taking Sawyer to Zion National Park over spring break, but as I look at hotel rooms I'm seeing that they're already becoming super booked. So I think we are going to go to Yosemite, since I really want to see all the waterfalls this spring after the massive amounts of rain and snow California is getting (thankfully). My mom was excited to hear that we might go there instead, since she can come meet us for the day to hang out. I guess I should reserve a room! 

6. This coffee table book seems adorable (I follow him on Instagram and his pictures are great):

[source]

7. I recently read something that advised people to "do less, more" when it comes to housework. I tend to keep things from not going to hell during the week and then spend a few hours on the weekend really cleaning. I've been trying to keep that philosophy in mind lately and when I have a few minutes I try to do something extra. Same with grading and my classroom; it's a lot more doable to grade a few papers here and there rather than a hundred in one sitting.

8. I am reading A Long Way Down by Ishmael Beah right now and having a really hard time with it. It's a really good, important book, but considering  the inevitable looming domestic and international political instability, as well as some own recent personal concerns, it's just maybe a bit too unsettling for me right now. I'm no quitter, plus I have an incredible talent for torturing myself, so I will power through.

9. This weekend will be fun. On Saturday we are having a few friends and their kids over for brunch, and Sunday I am going to reorganize my workout room (yes, this currently sounds fun, but that may change). I might try to sneak out for a little while to go rug shopping, too. This is 33, guys.

10. Betsy DeVos is a horrible, unqualified, ridiculous wench and doesn't deserve an sort of cabinet position. Elizabeth Warren is my hero, though, for her unabashed roasting of her at the hearing. God. It all just makes me sick to my stomach. Luckily, I live in California, but I fear for those who live in less liberal states. Good job, America!


4 comments:

  1. Betsy DeVos is even making the news in Australia thanks to her moronic opinions (something about 'take guns to school in case you see a grizzly...').

    One of the best housework tips I ever read (and try to do) is that if takes less than a minute to do/ put away/ organise - DO IT (ie don't put it down/ off).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Long Way Gone a number of years ago...definitely hard to read, but worth it. Hang in there.

    Love the dogs and kids book and I just followed him on IG, so thank you!!! Great pics!!

    You and I have traded places on running this year it seems...you are ramping up and I'm plagued by injuries and aches and pains. *sigh* Enjoy the 10k!!!

    Great news on the HVAC stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Cordie! I wouldn't mind a copy of Little Kids and their Big Dogs. I really enjoy his pictures! There is another photographer that I discovered through Instagram who does a series with dogs and I was going to get his calendar to support him, but it was all ready not available when I went to grab a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10. Yes! It just got worse and worse the more she spoke. She would have made a better impression if she had been silent.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS